Table of Contents
Sherline 5000 CNC mill
|Status||Sort of works (contact Jarrett, Richard, or Luke B for details)|
|Hackable||Sort of (please keep usable as a CNC machine)|
|Usage Restrictions||Members Only|
|If it Breaks||Put a “broken” sign on machine, post to Talk with details.|
|Loan Status||Donated to VHS by John Craver|
|Arrival Date||June 2010|
|Champion||See Compendium of Champions|
Forum thread: https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/vhs-group-project-sherline-cnc-mill/2588
For regular mill's operation:
For administrative tasks only the
root password is
Safety at a Glance
CNC machines don't care what they're cutting, whether it is steel, or human flesh for that matter...
- Safety Glasses
- Clamping devices (apply https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/vhs-group-project-sherline-cnc-mill/2588 liberally; better to have more clamps at moderate pressure than few at great pressure, to avoid damaging the T-slot)
- an experienced machine operator (if this is not you, you must get someone to help you!)
- long hair must be tied back
Optional (but recommended):
- Face Shield
Not recommended (must have a reason why):
- Hearing Protection (The CNC machine isn't very loud, and you will be able to determine how well a particular job is running based on how the machine sounds)
- Gloves, loose clothing (NEVER near rotating machinery!)
- Unclamped Material (can be thrown off the machine!)
- With the power disconnected, clear all non essential material from the CNC working area.
- Connect power.
- Open the front door of the CNC cabinet to access the keyboard, mouse, axis power and PC power.
- Make sure axis power is set to off.
- Turn on the PC.
- Start LinxCNC
- Make sure the big red Emergency stop button is off (pulled out).
- Enable the axis power.
- verify that there are no loose wires and the machine appears to be in good working order
- handle any warning messages that LinuxCNC reports.
- Proceed with prep and cut.
TODO: FINISH THIS
- Quit LinuxCNC
- Disable axis power
- Logout of linux with the “shutdown” option
- Wait for all systems to turn off
- Disconnect CNC
- Stow keyboard, mouse, and extension cord in CNC
- Remove your tool(s) from the chuck.
- Clean up the cutting leftovers. The next user thanks you!
Notes for later:
- Machine zero, work zero and G28: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3gN5wqz2FE
- http://reprap.org/wiki/4_Axis_TB6560_CNC_Stepper_Motor_Driver_Board_Controller 4 Axis TB6560 Controller board
- Tool speed calculator: http://zero-divide.net/?page=fswizard
- We have collets for 3mm, 4mm, 6mm and 1/8”, 3/16”, 1/4“ shank end mills.
- We have a step block hold down set, a milling vice and a set of extra T-nuts to clamp your work.
- The upper e-stop button should work, but verify that it stops the mill before you begin any real operation.
tool/sherline_cnc_mill.txt · Last modified: 2018/03/09 05:01 by colorcoded