Woodshop Automatic Dust Extraction System (WADES)
In January 2019 JohnC sought out to build a Woodshop Dust Extraction Automation System (WADES) simliar to the one he built for the Science World exhibits fabrication workshop in 2018. The system uses a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) control panel connected via long wires to current sensors mounted at each tool.
This project is a work in progress as of January 24 2019.
Please contact JohnC on the VHS forums or on Slack for details.
The following tools are slated to be connected to WADES:
1. Thickness Sander – 4“ Port
2. Table Saw – 2.5” Port
3. Jointer – Chute, no port afaik
4. CNC Router – No connector
5. Bandsaw (eventually I hope we upgrade beyond our 10“ bandsaw; but if we do it should just be 1:1 replacement) – Currently small port, but we should probably future-proof with 4”
6. Drill Press – No connector; having a Loc-Line based suction would be ideal.
7. Miter Saw – I’ve recently seen a good setup, but it would require making a miter saw bench
8. Thickness Planer – 4“ Port
9. Router Table – No collection port
10. Lathe – Would need a wide collection for chips.